High Protein Recipes
Vegetable & Egg Cups
INGREDIENTS(YIELDS 6 SERVINGS)
• Cooking spray or ghee
• 3 cups low-carb chopped vegetables, such as kale, scallions, broccoli and peppers
• ½ cup water
• 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1 cup, such as Hannaford Vermont Cheddar
• 11 large eggs
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or brush with Ghee.
2. Place veggies and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and set over high heat. Cook 4 minutes. Remove from heat and drain the vegetables in a sieve.
3. Divide the vegetables evenly among the muffin tin wells. Top with cheddar cheese. Whisk eggs, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour egg mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large measuring cup. Carefully pour over the vegetables and cheddar, dividing evenly among the cups.
4. Transfer to the oven and bake until the eggs are puffed in the center, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan. Refrigerate up to 4 days. Reheat until steaming hot or enjoy cold.
Whole-Grain California Chicken Wraps
• 8 slices bacon
• 2 cups shredded chicken
• salt and pepper
• 1 mango, finely chopped
• 6 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1 large avocado, or 2 small
• 4 whole wheat or corn tortillas
• 2 cups shredded romaine
• 1 large tomato, diced
1. Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
2. Place the chicken in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the mango, 3 tablespoons of the mayonnaise and the lime juice.
3. Remove the pit and skin from the avocado and place in another bowl. Roughly mash, season with salt and pepper, then stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
4. Lay a tortilla on a work surface and spread 1/4 of the avocado mixture over the tortilla, leaving a 1-inch border. Layer 1/4 of the lettuce down the center, followed by 1/4 of the tomato, 2 slices of bacon, then 1/4 of the chicken mixture. Fold in the 2 sides of the tortilla, then roll up like a burrito.
5. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients.
6. Cut each wrap in half before serving.
Greek Yogurt Shrimp (or Chicken) Alfredo Pasta
Original recipe yields 7 servings
• 16 ounces dry whole grain or chickpea pasta (pick one) (Aldi)
(Kroger or Walmart) (Kroger or Walmart)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 ½ pounds medium shrimp – peeled and deveined
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 teaspoons paprika
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 1 green bell pepper, sliced
• 1 tablespoon minced shallots or chopped white onions
• 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
• 1 cup plain yogurt
• 4 tablespoons cilantro
• 2 TBS white wine vinegar
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat butter or margarine in a large skillet. Add the shrimp, salt and pepper to taste and paprika. Stir with a wooden spatula. When the shrimp become pink (it should take 2 to 3 minutes), remove them with a slotted spoon, leaving the cooking liquid in the skillet.
3. Add red and green bell peppers, shallots, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, about 3 to 4 minutes over medium high heat. Add cognac and shrimp. Cook over medium heat for 2 more minutes.
4. Add yogurt and cilantro and bring to a simmer for about 30 seconds. Do not boil or sauce will separate. Serve over cooked pasta.
Greek Yogurt Parfait
Ingredients (yields 8 servings)
• 24 ounces plain Greek yogurt
• 2 cups old-fashioned oats
• 2 cups fresh mixed berries
• ½ TBS butter or coconut oil
1. Layer each cup with yogurt, homemade granola and fresh berries. Repeat the layers until the cup is full. Top with berries and drizzle with honey.